Best Mattress for Combination Sleepers – 2023 Reviews and Buyer’s Guide
Everybody sleeps, but some have a bit of fun with it.
Let’s see if this describes you well. You have a side you prefer to sleep on, but you also like to move it, move it. You start on your back, then end up on your side or stomach. Your bed can’t rule you!
If this fits the bill, then you’re a combination sleeper. Congrats!
Now, combination sleepers are not as rare as you might think, but it is tricky when you are looking for a new mattress.
Should I go with a memory foam mattress? Or is a hybrid one better?
Will a soft mattress be good? Is a firm mattress better? Which one should I choose out of a sea of mattresses – a mattressea, if you will?
Choosing a mattress depends on many factors. And those factors seem to double if you’re a combination sleeper. Luckily, we’ve made you this handy-dandy list of our top choices that will suit your needs.
Keep in mind that the goal of this list is to help you find a mattress that might suit your needs the best. If you feel that none of these models will suit you, visit our other best mattress lists and reviews. We encourage you to listen to your needs and wants.
Best Mattress for Combination Sleepers 2023 List
- Saatva Mattress – Best Mattress for Combination Sleepers with Back Pain
- Casper Mattress – Most Versatile
- Zenhaven Mattress – Best Latex Mattress for Combination Sleepers
- Leesa Mattress – Best Medium-firm Mattress for Combination Sleepers
- Leesa Hybrid Mattress – Best Hybrid Mattress for Combination Sleepers
- Amerisleep AS3 Mattress – Best Memory Foam Mattress for Combo Sleepers
- Purple Mattress – Most Unique Design
- Purple Hybrid Mattress – Most Bouncy
- WinkBed Mattress – Best Mattress for Couples
- Tuft & Needle Mattress – Best Mattress for Hot Combination Sleepers
Saatva Classic Mattress – Best Mattress for Combination Sleepers with Back Pain
The Saatva Classic mattress is designed to be a very versatile mattress. So it is no surprise that it will be a huge hit with many combination sleepers.
This hybrid innerspring model features not just a plush Euro-pillow top. It also has a unique dual-coil system. So what does that mean for you?
First of all, the organic Euro-pillow top enhances the pressure-relieving experience. Because you move about, it is crucial to have proper spinal alignment. So say goodbye to lower back pain! The dual-layer of coils make the bed more durable and extra responsive. The bounciness is especially important. Afterall, you don’t want to feel as though you’re stuck like a fly on sticky paper.
One of the bonus parts of the Saatva Classic is that you can choose between three firmness levels:
- Plush Soft (ranked 3),
- Luxury Firm (ranked between 5 to 7),
- and Firm (ranked 8).
Thanks to these options, the mattress will suit both varied body types and preferences. It doesn’t matter if you have a preference for side sleeping or if you’re petite or bigger-bodied. You can expect to experience a perfect marriage between comfort and support.
Why does the Saatva Classic mattress stand out?
- The mattress features a dual-layer of coils. That way, the construction is longer-lasting and supportive.
- The mattress’s pressure-relieving qualities come from its Euro-pillow top and upper comfort layers.
- Combined with the option to choose between three distinct firmness options, it’s a hit with combination sleepers of every shape and size.
- Though it features high-end materials, the mattress is an affordable luxury model.
- Because of its versatility, it ranks high among different best mattress lists!
Don’t take this list’s word for it! Visit our comprehensive Saatva mattress review for more tidbits!
Casper Mattress – Most Versatile
Like Amerisleep AS3, the Casper mattress is an all-foam mattress. It is also well-liked among many combination sleepers. How does it achieve this popularity? Why through its use of specialized foams.
One of the reasons this mattress is so popular is its Zoned Support™ layer. Why zoned? Well, this mattress layer is divided into three different areas of softer and firmer foams. The softer ones target areas like shoulders and feet. Meanwhile, the firmer foams are placed in the middle section of the mattress. Their job is to lift the hips and subsequently properly align the spine. In short, the layer provides advanced pressure relief in critical areas.
But, you don’t have to worry about getting stuck! The upper comfort layer is made out of AirScape™. This material is actually perforated polyfoam, which has two jobs.
- It increases the overall airflow of the mattress, so it keeps you fresh and cool as you sleep.
- It is equal parts contouring and responsive. So you can expect both free movement and comfort.
Because of such design, the Casper mattress achieves a high level of versatility. Whether you switch to sleep on your back, stomach, or your side, the mattress will support you. You can also count on being feeling relieved and properly supported in critical areas. Versatile and ultra-comfy? You need to try this mattress out!
Why does the Casper mattress stand out?
- The Casper is an all-foam mattress that uses unique foam materials.
- The Zoned Support™ layer pinpoints, supports, and relieves pressure in critical areas.
- The AirScape™ layer allows not only fantastic breathability but also easy-peasy time switching positions.
- The Casper enjoys an outstanding balance between ultimate comfort and support.
- Thanks to its design, the mattress enjoys excellent versatility. This makes it an excellent choice for many combination sleepers.
But does the praise really hold up? Well, you can find that out by reading our own Casper mattress review. It’s only a click away!
Zenhaven Mattress – Best Latex Mattress for Combination Sleepers
Did you know that there are flippable mattresses out there? No? Well, this mattress is going to be a treat.
The Zenhaven mattress is an all-latex mattress from the Saatva company. It is another eco-friendly luxury mattress in their collection that is uniquely designed.
As previously stated, the Zenhaven mattress is flippable. Why choose different mattress firmness options when you can get them both in one model?
- On the one side, you have the Gentle Firm side, which ranks about 7 on the firmness scale. If you are someone that needs added support, you will prefer this side the most. Perfect for stomach and back sleepers!
- The other side is the Luxury Plush, which is significantly softer than the former. If you like a bit more cradling feeling, this will hit all the right spots. Nighty night, side sleepers!
You might be thinking, but what about combo sleepers?
Well, they will just love the Zenhaven mattress. Why?
See, the Zenhaven mattress is made entirely out of latex or, more precisely, the Talalay latex. This latex is found in nature, which is a plus if you’re looking for an organic mattress. It is also highly durable, so your Zenhaven mattress will last you a long time. The Talalay latex also excels at temperature control and motion isolation.
But what really makes latex unique is its bounciness. Responsiveness is key with combination sleepers, as they tend to move about. So having a mattress that allows them free movement is something they will love. And they can also find it in the Zenhaven mattress. And if you factor in the fact that you can flip the mattress based on your preference? It all definitely makes this model an incredible sleep experience.
Why does the Zenhaven mattress stand out?
- The Zenhaven mattress is the Saatva company’s dual-sided, eco-friendly, all-latex mattress.
- It is made entirely out of the Talalay latex, which naturally occurs in nature. This makes the Zenhaven an organic mattress.
- The mattress has two sides of different firmness levels, the Luxury Plush and the Gentle Firm.
- Because of this versatility, a lot of sleepers will love this mattress.
- Combination sleepers will enjoy this mattress’s responsiveness and flippability the most.
Have we piqued your interest? Well, let’s not make curiosity kill the cat! Go and read more about the juicy details about the Zenhaven mattress from our review. You know you want to!
Leesa Mattress – Best Medium-firm Mattress for Combination Sleepers
The Leesa Original, or just Leesa, is an all-foam, high-quality mattress. As the company’s flagship model, it enjoys great popularity with a lot of sleepers.
With foam mattresses, there is always a “slight danger” that they are not as responsive as hybrids. Or, for that fact, innerspring mattresses. But, there are a few things that combination sleepers will love.
Firstly, the mattress features the LSA200 foam. It has characteristics of both memory foam and latex. So it does contour to the body like memory foam, but it’s also very responsive like latex. Like latex, this material promotes excellent breathability. So if you sleep hot as well, you’ll like it.
As the LSA200 has such specific qualities, you might sink into the mattress. That way, you’ll still get some of that superb pressure relief (*cue the sighs*). It’s also great at isolating movement. If you sleep with a partner, that’s another checkmark in the pro column. However, thanks to the latex abilities, the mattress bounces right back into shape if you push into it. So while it might cradle you a bit, it also allows you to move more freely.
The Leesa mattress is characterized as a medium-firm mattress. Such a firmness ranking is popular with combination sleepers. It makes it possible for them to move more easily. However, we must acknowledge that sometimes the bed can feel softer. As such, it is particularly well-liked among light- and average-weight combo sleepers. Or even those that like to sleep primarily on their side.
Why does the Leesa mattress stand out?
- The Leesa mattress is a medium-firm mattress, although it may sometimes feel softer.
- It features a special type of foam, the LSA200 foam, an amalgam of latex and memory foam. It both supports and comforts your body as you shift about.
- It isolates motion pretty well, so most couples will enjoy it.
- With the Leesa mattress, you don’t have to worry about sleeping hot.
- It is an excellent choice for many light and average-weight sleepers.
What? You’re still unsure if you should get the Leesa mattress? Then you should definitely read our detailed mattress review.
Leesa Hybrid Mattress – Best Hybrid Mattress for Combination Sleepers
If you check out their website, you’ll see that the Leesa Hybrid mattress is the company’s most popular model. As it’s usually ranked as a medium-firm mattress, it is suitable for a lot of sleepers.
The Leesa Hybrid is known for its responsive nature as a hybrid innerspring mattress. It’s a well-known fact that combination sleepers need a mattress that can allow them to move with ease without sacrificing support. So it is no wonder that this mattress model hits the bullseye with many combo sleepers.
Based on many reviews, Leesa Hybrid is sought after with a particular set of combination sleepers. The ones that like to sleep on their back or side, and even those with back pain.
You see, this hybrid mattress comes with a dual-foam comfort layer. Why is that important?
- The first layer has Avena Foam, which is the company’s own creation. It is a highly dense polyfoam that has some latex-like qualities. Qualities like responsiveness and breathability. No more sweaty nights!
- Underneath is a layer of memory foam. Due to its high density, this layer is slow-moving. It allows unparalleled pressure relief. Especially in the lumbar area.
Because it achieves a superb balance between responsiveness and plush cushioning, it’s easy to see why back and side combination sleepers will fall in this hybrid mattress.
Why does the Leesa Hybrid mattress stand out?
- The Leesa Hybrid mattress is a perfectly balanced mattress.
- It uses a latex-like alternative that is just as bouncy and breathy as the original.
- As it features materials that promote better airflow, you won’t worry about overheating.
- Due to the slow-moving memory foam, it excels at pressure relief. If you have back pain, you might want to consider the Leesa Hybrid mattress.
It is a hit with most combo sleepers, particularly with back and side sleep preferences.
But wait, you want to get to know Leesa Hybrid better? Then jump over to its detailed mattress review and get the juicy deets!
Amerisleep AS3 Mattress – Best Memory Foam Mattress for Combo Sleepers
What can you expect from a brand that calls itself “sleep revolutionists”?
Amerisleep AS3 is a memory foam mattress. It is an eco-friendly and the company’s best-selling model. Now, usually, memory foam mattresses are not a great pick for combination sleepers. They tend to cradle the body, so they’re not as responsive as innerspring or hybrid mattresses.
So why did we include the Amerisleep AS3 mattress in this list? Well, all Amerisleep mattresses, including the AS3, use the Bio-Pur® memory foam. Now, this isn’t your ordinary memory foam. The Bio-Pur® is a plant-based material that has an advanced open-cell structure. As such, it’s designed to be not only more breathable but also more responsive. Responsive as in “bounces back quicker.” So combinations sleepers might like that the bed retains its shape a lot quicker.
Also, to note that this memory foam is quite dense but still slow-moving. So this means that Amerisleep AS3 might still cradle the body. But it will provide the necessary support. This also means that this unique memory foam mattress is also great at motion isolation. This is crucial if you sleep with a partner, that is a light sleeper. Another bonus point for combination sleepers!
As it’s a medium-firm model, it will suit most sleeper body types. Still, we don’t recommend it for sleepers over 230 pounds, as they need a bit more support.
Are you a combination sleeper that likes the feel of a memory foam mattress or have a co-sleeper? You might want to consider this memory foam mattress.
Why does the Amerisleep AS3 mattress stand out?
- The Amerisleep AS3 is an eco-friendly, plant-based memory foam mattress.
- It uses a special Bio-Pur® memory foam. This foam is slow-moving, sleeps cooler, and bounces more quickly into shape.
- Because the comfort layer is so slow-moving, the mattress excels at motion transfer.
- Great for combination sleepers that like memory foam mattresses.
- The Amerisleep AS3 might also be an excellent pick for other sleeper types.
Are there other Amerisleep memory foam mattress models? Yes, there are. And you can read more about them in our cover-all multiple Amerisleep mattress review.
Purple Mattress – Most Unique Design
If you’ve been mattress searching for awhile, chances are you’ve heard about the Purple mattress. It’s an all-foam mattress that is very popular with a lot of sleepers, but why is that?
The answer is that the Purple mattress has a unique design, or more specifically, the Purple Grid. What’s that?
Well, the Purple Grid is located in the comfort layer of the mattress. It is made entirely out of the Hyper-Elastic Polymer in the shape of a grid. So it’s poked with holes, which helps with temperature regulation.
As this material is super stretchy, it can retain its shape and bounce back much faster than memory foam. The material can distribute the weight evenly. And in turn, it also provides the needed pressure relief. But the Polymer grid also allows you to seamlessly transition from one to another position.
In short, this bed is highly flexible and adaptable, thanks to its unique construction. Honestly, we couldn’t help but not include it on this list.
Why does the Purple mattress stand out?
- The Purple mattress is a popular all-foam mattress model.
- It features a unique design in the form of the Purple Grid.
- The Purple Grid is a highly adaptable model that sleeps cool.
- It both contours to the body and allows you to move on it freely.
- Because of its flexible construction, it’s an excellent experience for combination sleepers.
What else makes the Purple mattress special? Are there any flaws you need to know about? Seek out the answer in our outstanding and full Purple mattress review.
Purple Hybrid Mattress – Most Bouncy
So you want to try the Purple mattress, but foam mattresses are just not your thing? Are you more of a coil-fan? Well, why not try the Purple Hybrid mattress, the company’s first hybrid model?
The design of the Purple Hybrid is still similar to the original Purple mattress. Both of them have the famous Purple Grid and the one-of-a-kind Hyper-Elastic Polymer. But the former has a 7.5″ pocketed coil layer. The coils boost the mattress’s overall motion isolation, temperature control, and edge support.
However, regarding the motion transfer part, we do have to note something down quickly. If you read the previous section, you know that the Hyper-Elastic Polymer is a very responsive material. It says so in the name. Although it performs rather well in the motion isolation, this isn’t really a bed for light sleepers.
On the other hand, combination sleepers might like the fact that the mattress is so bouncy. The more the mattress bounces, the better they can move about at night.
Another thing they might like is the mattresses’ unique feel of the Purple Grid. It is still medium-firm but also squishy and gel-like. If you ever wondered what it’s like sleeping in a Jell-o, this might be the closest you’re ever going to get to it.
We believe that the combo sleepers, weighing between 130 and 230 lbs, will enjoy this mattress. Especially if they prefer to sleep primarily on their back.
Why does the Purple Hybrid mattress stand out?
- The Purple Hybrid mattress is the company’s first hybrid innerspring model.
- It features both the Purple Grid and pocketed coils.
- The mattress that excels at temperature control, edge support, and motion transfer.
- The mattress is also very bouncy. Perfect for combination sleepers that switch positions often.
- Combo sleepers of average weight will find this model the most enjoyable.
Who might also love the Purple Hybrid mattress? Take a gander at its official and detailed mattress review, written by yours truly.
WinkBed Mattress – Best Mattress for Couples
If mattresses could have middle names, then the WinkBeds middle name would be Bouncy. And if you take a peek at its design, you’ll see why.
The WinkBed mattress is a luxury hybrid innerspring model. Many people have noticed that it is pretty similar to the Saatva mattress. There are some differences. For starters, the WinkBed is available in four different firmness options. Softer, Luxury Firm, Firmer, and Plus. So if you are petite, average, or bigger, you can easily find a firmness level that will best suit your specific needs.
The WinkBed features a double-quilted Euro-pillow top and a cover made with Tencel material. This material will keep you cooler at night. The Euro-pillow top’s job is to provide relief to vital pressure points while you sleep. Although it cradles the body somewhat, you won’t feel like you’re stuck in it.
Instead of Saatva’s dual-coil layer, the WinkBed mattress has 5 layers of pocketed micro coils. These coils work hard to give the maximum support your body needs. The coils also enhance the responsiveness of the bed. That way you can change positions easily during the night. But don’t worry about waking your partner! This bed is also great at minimizing motion transfer. So couples will also enjoy this experience.
In short, the WinkBed mattress is tailored to offer fantastic comfort and support to a wide variety of sleepers.
Why does the WinkBed mattress stand out?
- You can choose from four different firmness options.
- Thanks to its design, the WinkBed will provide you both excellent comfort and support.
- Great for both singles and couples!
- Due to the nature of the material, the WinkBed is a long-lasting hybrid mattress.
- It is greatly popular with combination sleepers of every shape and form.
Need to know more? Take a gander at our WinkBed mattress review and see for yourself if you’d like to own this hybrid mattress.
Tuft & Needle Mattress – Best Mattress for Hot Combination Sleepers
The flagship Tuft & Needle mattress is another fantastic all-foam mattress model. It’s well-known for its simplistic design and unparalleled pressure relief.
Combination sleepers don’t usually like foam mattresses because of their cradling sensation. However, this isn’t the case with the Tuft & Needle mattress. The model has a good amount of bounce to it, so it responds well to movement. So, no more quicksand moments for you!
The Tuft & Needle mattress owes its responsiveness to the use of its own T&N Adaptive® foam. Like Leesa’s LSA200 and Avena foam, this foam has the best of memory foam and latex mixed together. It both contours to the body to offset pressure and responds well to tossing and turning.
Another unique thing about this mattress? The Adaptive® foam is enriched with graphite and ceramic cooling gel beads. These are added to create a very temperature-neutral bed. The graphite absorbs the heat, while the cooling gel beads dissolve it. So most combination sleepers that sleep hot may find this mattress to be a good pick.
Still, because it’s a foam mattress, we don’t believe that heavier-set sleepers will like it. But we believe that light- and average-weight sleepers might find this mattress to be an excellent pick. Especially those with a preference for sleeping on their back.
Why does the Tuft & Needle mattress stand out?
- It is an all-foam mattress with a minimalist design and awesome pressure relief.
- Thanks to the use of their T&N Adaptive® foam, this model is both very bouncy and comfortable.
- A lot of combination sleepers with a foam mattress preference will find the mattress enjoyable.
- The addition of graphite and ceramic cooling gel beads is a hit with most hot sleepers.
- Might not be great for people with higher BMI.
Wondering what else might be great about the Tuft & Needle mattress? Feast your eyes on our thorough review!
Here’s a quick little recap:
|Saatva Mattress||Best Mattress for Back Pain|
|Leesa Mattress||Best Medium-firm Mattress|
|Leesa Hybrid Mattress||Best Hybrid Mattress|
|Amerisleep AS3 Mattress||Best Memory Foam Mattress|
|Casper Mattress||Most Versatile|
|Purple Mattress||Most Unique Design|
|Purple Hybrid Mattress||Most Bouncy|
|Tuft & Needle Mattress||Best Mattress for Hot Combination Sleepers|
|WinkBed Mattress||Best Mattress for Couples|
|Zenhaven Mattress||Best Latex Mattress|
Combination sleepers might be a bit tricky to choose a mattress for. But here are some helpful tips that may help you on your journey:
- Go for a responsive mattress that will help you when moving on top of the mattress.
- Take your preferences into account. Do you like to sleep on your side, stomach, or on your back?
- Don’t like a hybrid mattress? Try a latex or memory foam one (and vice versa)!
- Listen to your body! Are you petite, are more average, or are more fluffy? Always check the firmness level!
- Don’t overlook the comfort and support of each mattress you look at! No one wants to wake up in aches and pains!
- Make sure to read the more in-depth reviews of each mattress you come across on your journey. An excellent place to start are our own mattress reviews.
- And finally, remember to always check the trial period and return policies! Take advantage of their benefits and make the most out of them!
Sadly, there is no one-type-fits-all mattress. But with a bit of research and patience, you may find the next best thing to it!
Frequently Asked Questions
What firmness is best for combo sleepers?
In general, combination sleepers gravitate towards medium-firm mattresses. These can be anywhere from 5 to 7 on the firmness scale. So if you see a mattress rated 1, that means it’s super soft. Following the same logic, 10 would be the firmest mattress.
Seems pretty straightforward, right? Well, not so fast. Let’s see how different weights and preferences skew the generalized answer.
Lightweight sleepers (under 130 pounds) put less body pressure on the mattress surface. They usually choose mattresses between 3 (Soft) to 5 (Medium). Sleepers weighing from 130 to 230 pounds prefer mattresses rated 5 (Medium) to 7 (Firm). Heavy sleepers over 230 pounds should avoid soft beds, no matter the sleep position. They get sufficient pressure relief with Firm mattresses (7/10).
Another factor is the subjective experience of comfort. Do you like a softer feel? Enjoy feeling like the mattress is hugging you? Or maybe you hate that completely and desire a firm yet supportive bed?
To find good options for soft mattresses, please look at our list of best soft mattresses.
For the list of medium-firm mattresses, please take a peep at our best hybrid mattresses.
What mattress is best for a combination sleeper with back pain?
If you tend to switch sleeping positions during the night, you are a combination sleeper. You can switch from your back to your stomach or your side unconsciously. You need a mattress that won’t ruin your slumber while switching.
Also, a mattress that will relieve pain accumulated during the day.
When back pain is the issue with a combo sleeper, a mattress with extra support for the spine is a must. Hybrid mattresses are a perfect mix of both ease and support that combo sleepers will adore. They have excellent comfort layers combined with coils. They’re best for sleepers who need pain points massaged the right way in every sleeping position. The best firmness level for combination sleepers with backache is a medium-firm feel.
If you struggle with back pain, let’s find you a mattress that will serve you whole. Check out our best mattresses for back pain, and don’t worry about bending your back: it’s top-shelf tier.
What mattress is best for a combination sleeper with neck pain?
Having constant neck pain is very painful and stressful. What makes it incredibly irritating is when it doesn’t go away during the night. Combination sleepers thus have a more challenging time tossing and turning on the mattress, trying to soothe the ache.
So, a mattress that keeps the shoulders and spine neutral will ease the pain most simply. If your neck and shoulders are stiff and compressed during the day, they need a lot of pressure relief at night.
A mattress that will even pressure points out and let them rub on the nice comfort layer is a perfect remedy.
Your hybrid mattress of choice should be more responsive to allow you to move easier. Avoid plush memory foam that will let you sink and trap you inside the mattress.
Pick a strong enough mattress that can distribute the weight evenly. That way, there’s no collapsing in any sleeping position.
Dracula has no friends because he’s a pain in the neck. Don’t be like Dracula. Slumber like a king or a queen, and check out our best mattresses for neck pain instead.
What type of mattress is best for a side and stomach sleeper?
Finding the mattress to fit both your side and stomach sleeping needs seems tricky. These two positions have different firmness requirements and pressure points.
When you’re sleeping on your side, shoulders and hips take most of the beating. Meaning, the discomfort, and aches are commonly formed there. In some cases, even your neck can feel the strain. To avoid that, choose a mattress that will allow your hips and shoulders to drop slightly.
A softer, medium-firm mattress can generally do that. The right level of body-conforming will relieve the pressure and give you a good night’s sleep.
You should also be able to keep even body weight distribution once you switch to your stomach. That enables your body to stay in a comfortable position and prevent neck and lower back pain. That position usually requires a firmer surface that will allow optimal spinal alignment. That’s why stomach sleepers generally prefer medium-firm to firm beds.
If you’re curious to read more, take a look at our list of best mattresses for side sleepers. And if you’d like to check firmer options, take a quick dive into our list of best mattresses for back sleepers.